Marvel Studios and Sony Pictures Entertainment have just announced “that Sony is bringing Marvel into the amazing world of Spider-Man”.
“Under the deal, the new Spider-Man will first appear in a Marvel film from Marvel’s Cinematic Universe (MCU). Sony Pictures will thereafter release the next installment of its $4 billion Spider-Man franchise, on July 28, 2017, in a film that will be co-produced by Kevin Feige and his expert team at Marvel and Amy Pascal, who oversaw the franchise launch for the studio 13 years ago. Together, they will collaborate on a new creative direction for the web slinger. Sony Pictures will continue to finance, distribute, own and have final creative control of the Spider-Man films.”
The first movie in which Spider-Man will join his marvelous friends has not been announced – yet fan speculation is running wild, and many assume Spider-Man has arrived just in time for Civil War.
Marvel and Sony Pictures are also exploring opportunities to integrate characters from the MCU into future Spider-Man films.
Bob Iger, Chairman and CEO, The Walt Disney Company said: “Spider-Man is one of Marvel’s great characters, beloved around the world. We’re thrilled to work with Sony Pictures to bring the iconic web-slinger into the Marvel Cinematic Universe, which opens up fantastic new opportunities for storytelling and franchise building.”
“We always want to collaborate with the best and most successful filmmakers to grow our franchises and develop our characters. Marvel, Kevin Feige and Amy, who helped orchestrate this deal, are the perfect team to help produce the next chapter of Spider-Man,” said Michael Lynton, Chairman and CEO of Sony Pictures Entertainment. “This is the right decision for the franchise, for our business, for Marvel, and for the fans.”
“Sony Pictures and Marvel Studios share a love for the characters in the Spider-Man universe and have a long, successful history of working together. This new level of collaboration is the perfect way to take Peter Parker’s story into the future,” added Doug Belgrad, president, Sony Pictures Entertainment Motion Picture Group.
“I am thrilled to team with my friends at Sony Pictures along with Amy Pascal to produce the next Spider-Man movie,” said Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige. “Amy has been deeply involved in the realization on film of one of the world’s most beloved characters. Marvel’s involvement will hopefully deliver the creative continuity and authenticity that fans demand from the MCU. I am equally excited for the opportunity to have Spider-Man appear in the MCU, something which both we at Marvel, and fans alike, have been looking forward to for years.”
This News follows immediately after news of Amy Pascal stepping down from her position as Sony Co-Chairwoman, after the “Sony Leaks” plagued the movie studio late last year. It now appears that she will co-produce with Kevin Feige.
What a wonderful time to be alive!
Update 10:12 PM 2/9/15
The next Spider-Man film, whatever it will be, is set to be released on July 28th, 2017. If that date sounds familiar it is because it was the previous release date for Thor: Ragnarok. This release date has triggered a cascade of release dates at Disney, with Thor: Ragnarok replacing Black Panther‘s release date, which replaces Captain Marvel‘s release date, which replaces Inhumans‘s release date.
Meanwhile, Sony is no longer planning to release its The Sinister Six film in 2016, as it moves back into development to rethink its existence and what it might be.
Update 10:45 PM 2/9/15
Over at The Wrap they are reporting that Andrew Garfield will not be returning for future Spider-Man movies. This has not been confirmed.
Update 11:00 PM 2/9/15
For those of you who are hoping that Miles Morales will be the next Spider-Man, I have bad news for you. Sony’s Doug Belgrad issued this statement: “Sony Pictures and Marvel Studios share a love for the characters in the Spider-Man universe and have a long, successful history of working together. This new level of collaboration is the perfect way to take Peter Parker’s story into the future.”
Update 11:32 PM 2/9/15
The Wall Street Journal is claiming that Spider-Man will be appearing in 2016’s Captain America: Civil War. This will likely take the form of a cameo rather than a key element of the plot as that film has already gone into pre-production.
Update 3:44 PM 2/10/15
Accoring to Variety:
Marvel Studios won’t pay Sony Pictures for the rights to put Spider-Man in Captain America: Civil War, the Avengers franchise or its other superhero films, as part of its new partnership with the studio,” according to sources with knowledge of the deal. At the same time, Marvel won’t receive a cut of the box office for any of Sony’s films that feature Spider-Man. Sony won’t receive a percentage of the revenue Disney makes from Marvel’s films that have Spider-Man, either. Basically these relationships are operating similarly to how a producer would work on a film.
Sony is reportedly looking to recast Peter as a younger man, still in high school. They are still moving forward with their Sinister Six, Venom, and female-centric Spider-Man film. Kevin Feige will have nothing to do with the spin-offs and will merely be producing the next Spider-Man film for Sony.
Update 9:39 AM 2/11/15
Two actors have reportedly already been considered by Marvel and Sony for the next Spider-Man: Logan Lerman and Dylan O’Brien. Logan was the star of The Perks of Being a Wallflower and Percy Jackson and Dylan is the star of the Maze Runner series. Both are 23 and white. They will not be doing Miles Morales, so it is time we put that speculation to rest. The cause for Miles is still worth championing.
We will update you as more details about Spider-Man’s cinematic future become available!